« Home | DUSLA Meet and Greet » | New Resources for Students » | Welcome Back! Help us plan for the new Year! » | Baltimore wrap-up » | DUSLA Happy Hour » | Have the NEED to LEAD!? » | Thomson/ ISI Tour with DUSLA » | Welcome to DUSLA Web 2.0 » | William Moen Lecture » | We now have an RSS feed for the BLOG »

The Smallest Airport

This is the first in a series of Internet Librarian Conference Reports from me.



So I have arrived here in Monterey (with more bags than I care to tell you about). Turns out that Monterey has the smallest airport I have ever been in! You get off the plane by walking down these scary steps and then you have to walk a while (outside - it was a nice day) before you get into the terminal - and by terminal I mean one room with a few desks for you to checkin and another room is a metal - um - can't think of a word - but it's the replacement for the baggage claim belts you're used to seeing. So you stand around in the baggage claim room and wait for the truck to come along with your bags. It comes in and parks next to the claim area and 2 men place you bags on the metal table - and since the "belt" doesn't move you have to push and shove & bump into people to get to your bags.

So finally, I'm out of the airport and it turns out that the airport isn't the only thing that's small - the fleet of taxi's ain't so big either. There are 2 companies and no taxis. So we wait in a line with 20-30 other librarians and slowly the cabs come in pairs to whisk us away!

The point of this rant is that I'm here - in an amazing room and I am exhausted and ready for bed - but I can't go to bed just yet (mostly cause it's 4:30pm here) because I have an SLA reception to go to and then a dine-around with other web geeks like me ;)

Technorati Tags: ,