« Home | Welcome Back! Help us plan for the new Year! » | Baltimore wrap-up » | DUSLA Happy Hour » | Have the NEED to LEAD!? » | Thomson/ ISI Tour with DUSLA » | Welcome to DUSLA Web 2.0 » | William Moen Lecture » | We now have an RSS feed for the BLOG » | Starting Out in SLA - Navigating Opportunities in ... » | Welcome. »

New Resources for Students

Hello all, for my introductory post here at the DUSLA blog I'd like to point out some resources I recently read about that are great for us students.

First, a little bit about me. My name is Nicole Engard, I'm the Web Manager at Jenkins Law Library in Philadelphia and the author of What I Learned Today... I'm in my first term here at Drexel and am hoping to get my MLIS in one year (fingers crossed). You can learn more about me at my blog.

Now for the stuff you really care about. I found these resources recently and they're all worth looking at:
  • Zotera
    Zotero is a free, easy-to-use research tool that helps you gather and organize resources (whether bibliography or the full text of articles), and then lets you to annotate, organize, and share the results of your research. It includes the best parts of older reference manager software (like EndNote)—the ability to store full reference information in author, title, and publication fields and to export that as formatted references—and the best parts of modern software such as del.icio.us or iTunes, like the ability to sort, tag, and search in advanced ways. (if you have an old version of Firefox - check the comments here)
  • ottobib
    Get citations for books in MLA, APA, Chicago, and AMA format just by entering an ISBN.
  • Library Student Journal
    A peer-reviewed student publication of the University at Buffalo Department of Library and Information Studies.
  • NoteMesh
    There are plenty of notes services out there; NoteMesh is a different way of thinking about your notes. Collaborate with your classmates to create a unified set of notes for your class. It's like Wikipedia for your notes.
  • Back to School with the Class of Web 2.0
    A list of handy 2.0 resources for students.
I look forward to working with you all and continuing to share resources with everyone.

"Amazon's database of books is too shallow, and they have poor publisher information. Isbndb.org is the other place I pull from, and it's simply too disorganized. I have to have integrate code that can detect and handle about six different formats that the data can come in." From Otto's blog.

Do you know if Amazon and isbndb are the only sources he's pulling data from? I just tried the six nearest books and got 4 out of 6 citations. Pretty impressive.

Zotera

I love Firefox extensions! This is the coolest one I've seen...can't wait to try it, but I too am reluctant to update...hopefully that Firefox extension tricking extension works well with my plethora of Firefox addons.

That's why you should read the comments posted here about upgrading - sounds like it's not going to be a big deal.

Post a Comment