« Home | KMW2006 - Enterprise Blogs for Knowledge Exchange » | KMW2006 - The New Shape of Knowledge » | KMW2006 - Making Choices in Enterprise Search » | KMW2006 - Folksonomies, Social Tagging, & Complexi... » | KMW2006 - Innovative Enterprises: Leaders' Visions... » | KMW2006 - Exalead » | KMW2006 - How Do I Get People to Use the Content? » | KMW2006 - User Experience: Lessons Learned » | SLA News Reader » | IL2006 - The RSS & JavaScript Cookbook »

Delaware Book Festival

I went to the first Delaware Book Festival in Dover yesterday.

I had been looking forward to this since I received the first email from the Delaware Library Association back in the spring. The weather was wonderful and I enjoyed the foliage on the drive down to Dover.

My favorite presentation was the one done by Michael Dixon, who is based in Cecil County, Maryland and also teaches at the University of Delaware. He spoke on "Uncovering the Past" and had a great story about one of his team finding a letter from Thomas Jefferson!

As a future librarian, it was appreciative to hear Mr. Dixon recommend that those who do research should consult reference librarians as they will have the subject matter expertise of what is in a particular collection. In a world where some think that Google will resolve all research issues, this was refreshing.

I also got to introduce myself to someone who spoke in one of my history classes a few years previously. I even saw a co-worker of mine visiting the nearby Johnson Victrola Museum!

It was a great day and I'm looking forward to next year's event.